Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • ::

    Does anyone have experience making dried beef or venison? I am wanting to try it with some deer but not finding a lot online for recipes or instructions. Thanks in advance for any help!

    rover61
    ::

    Try you tube.I just did a quick search.First one that came up was done by "Average Iowa Guy".Sorry I'm not computer savvy enough to post a link. 🙄

    ::

    I mix a tablespoon of Morton tender quick and a tablespoon of brown sugar per pound of meat in a bowl. Rub it on the meat getting in all the cracks. Put meat and left over mix in a gallon zip lock and place in the fridge for 5 to 7 days depending on the size. Flip bag over everyday. Take out of fridge soak for half hour to pull out extra cure then smoke to 140 to 145 then slice. I just finished up two deer roast last weekend. They turned out great.

    ::

    I have done dried venison and it seems to turn out pretty good. I mean there isn't any left when I make it. First I get a couple of roasts from the deer and trim all silver skin. Then you will need some sort of cure. I use a golden sugar cure from Todd's. Take the cure and rub it generously over the roast and put them in a plastic tub with a lid and put in the refrigerator for 7 days. Each day I turn the roast over. After 7 days I take the roast out and rinse the cure off and then I smoke them until you get an internal temp of 145 then I wrap the roast in aluminum foil and let rest for an hour or so then put in refrigerator. After it is cold I slice thin and enjoy. I just did a couple of roasts about 3 weeks ago and this time they turned out okay but pretty salty. I think maybe next time I will try 5 or 6 days and see if it makes a difference.

    ::

    I made some a couple weeks ago, it was delicious. I measured the required amount of Mortons TQ based on the weight of each roast, then the same amount of dark brown sugar. Rubbed the TQ, BS and a little garlic powder, onion powder and BP on the roast and let them cure for 8 days in a zip loc bag. Removed from cure, rinsed off and put in clean cold water for a few hours. I smoked to internal temp of 150. Let cool and enjoyed. Mine wasn't salty enough and I think I let it soak a bit too long in the clean water. Definitely worth doing again. Super easy and delicious!

    ::

    I think I'm going to try this too.

    IaCraig
    ::

    I usually use Eldon's dried beef / pastrami seasoning premix, but the have a do-it-yourself recipe on their site too. (see below link). I have not tried this specific one, but I tried several of their other free recipes and was very happy with the results of each.

    http://www.eldonsausage.com/Dried-Smoked-Beef-Venison-Recipe-s/1965.htm

    maxx
    ::

    Is there a difference between dried and smoked?

    I thinking curing it and smoking it is more of a Ham type thing. When I think of dried meat I think of a cure and then using some sort of drying system like screans, natural heat/sun?

    I remember my roommate in college had and entire back quarter dried. It was delicious. It reminded me of the beef you use to make Chit on a shingle.

    IaCraig
    ::

    Dried vs smoked. Technically there is probably a difference, but to me dried beef is always smoked to some level & cooked. I worked in the meat locker in the 1970s and our dried beef was injected with brine, let set for 5-7 days then smoked & cooked. Very similar process as our hams, and they even went into the smokehouse at the same time. (I think the dried beef cooked to a different temp than the hams, but maybe it just took longer for the hams to get to temp….I don't remember those details). The end product of the beef was what you would slice real thin and make your **** on a shingle with, or cold meat sandwiches, etc. This is also what I get when I make dried deer, and I also brine(or rub) and smoke that. (my dried deer gets a little drier, and the slices don't hold together quite as good).

    For some reason when you brined & smoke/cook Pork or turkey they turn more hammy, while beef treated in about the same way turns out drier and more pastrami like. Never really tried to figure out why, I just accepted that is the way it is. To get cured beef to even resemble ham, I think you need to brine a fatty piece it then boil it instead of smoke it, kind of how corned beef is made from brisket.

    Good luck with your smoking adventures. 😀

    ::

    I made pastrami with a liquid brine and it was a different taste than the dried deer which both smoked at the same time. Both make Excellent "Chipped Beef" :mrgreen:

    It is a recipe I will be using every year, the boys cant get enough of the "smoked deer meat"!

    ::

    This is the recipe I make. I smoke it to do the Pastrami. It taste just like dried beef to me with smoke flavor. It is an excellent recipe. Good luck.

    Corned Venison

    5 qt ice water
    12 oz salt
    3 oz sugar
    3 oz Prague powder (meat cure)
    8 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup pickling spice (add last)

    Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large non-aluminum bowl or container.
    Place meat in container (I use a large plastic lined cooler) with brine and
    inject the brine into the meat using a large syringe. On large chunks of
    meat with bones , inject plenty of brine near the bones to assure the meat
    is completely cured/bacteria is killed. Brine must completely cover the
    meat for 5-6 days. To keep the meat submerged in the brine, I placed
    ziplock bags filled with water on top of the meat. It does a good the job,
    it's non-metallic , and not very messy.

    After meat has cured for the specified time it is ready to be cooked. Place
    desired amount of cured meat in a large pot, cover meat with the brine
    solution and cook for 2 hrs. If the brine solutions is bloody from the
    meat, I will make up a new brine solution without adding the meat cure to
    cook in. Before cooking the meat you might have to cut it into smaller
    pieces so it fits in your cookware. After the meat is cooked I use it in
    ruben sandwiches, shit-on-a-shingle, and other dishes. Some meat I'll
    freeze with enough brine to make a boiled dinner.

    In a crock pot I'll combine the frozen meat and brine with red potatoes,
    cabbage and onions. Cook it all day (I use high setting on crockpot) and it
    makes a great boiled dinner.

    Note: If you can't find Prague powder use another type meat cure. I went
    to our local butcher shop and they gave me 4oz of meat cure. The cure was a
    concentrated industrial cure and the 4 ozs will cure 100 lbs of meat. Just
    be sure to follow the directions on the amount of cure needed for lbs of
    meat to cure.

    For Pastrami, instead of boiling, coat the brined venison with a mixture of cracked pepper and coriander, and cook in a smoker. I've done this several times and it's excellent.

    ::

    Thanks for the help everyone! Any input on cooking temp or length of time? My guess is to start slow around 130 for an hour, then give it a little smoke and raise it to 135-140 for an hour, and basically raise about 10deg an hour till around 175 till I get the internal temp. That's how I do my summer sausage and sticks

    ::

    Quote by: cyfanhunter

    Thanks for the help everyone! Any input on cooking temp or length of time? My guess is to start slow around 130 for an hour, then give it a little smoke and raise it to 135-140 for an hour, and basically raise about 10deg an hour till around 175 till I get the internal temp. That's how I do my summer sausage and sticks

    I think mine took about 8 hrs. I started 130 for an hour no smoke, 150 for about 4 hours lots of smoke, then bumped it up to 175 until I got to 150ish.

    IaCraig
    ::

    The Eldon's site also gives good directions on smoke/cooking times and temps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.